ABOUT ACADEMICS ADMISSIONS STUDENT LIFE ATHLETICS ALUMNAE RIDING NEWS/EVENTS GIVING  

President's Blog

Check Out “Project 306″

Students in the Business department have started a blog called Project 306. Here’s a quote from their statement of purpose:

“Our goal is to stimulate a conversation about women in innovation and all of the things that help us attain success. We’re exploring #womenhelpingwomen, experiential learning, professional & personal growth.”

If you check it out, you’ll find stories about Professor Tom Scott’s recent trip to Tanzania, recommendations about “don’t miss” TED talks (click here for one interesting example) a recent young female entrepreneurs panel, and lots more.

I was pleased that they recently asked me to contribute some thoughts on career planning. Here are the first couple of paragraphs of my post:

“In my conversations with students about their career aspirations – and I’ve had a lot of those, over the years! – I often hear them taking one of two approaches to career planning.

The first is goal-driven. These students decide where they want to end up and are determined to do whatever it takes to get there. (“I want to be a vet, so even though labs aren’t my favorite thing I’ll take all the required courses and then some.”) The second is more intrinsically-motivated. These students do what they love and trust that a rewarding career will emerge from their choices. (“Nothing could be more fun than mastering four different languages, and there are lots of interesting things multilingual people can do.”)

I am and always have been one of the second kind.”

If you want to read the rest, visit the Project 306 blog!

One Response to 'Check Out “Project 306″'

1. Tom Loftus says:

Thank you for supporting the efforts of Project 306!